The beginning of the 20th century was marked by an outstanding event in the history of the Russian-Indian relations – Imperial Russian Consulate was opened in Bombay on 22nd November, 1900. This was the first Russian Diplomatic mission in India. Mr.Vasily von Klemm, a career-diplomat and a specialist in oriental policy, took charge as the first Russian Imperial Consul upto the year 1905. Later, the status of the Russian mission was upgraded as the Consulate General of Russia and Mr.von Klemm was promoted as the Consul General of Russia. During the first period of activities the Russian Consulate was located at the prestigious Taj Mahal Hotel.

At present the Consulate general of Russia is situated at 42-L, Jagmohandas Marg (Old Neapean Sea Road), Mumbai – 400 036.